THEN ( I don’t know what) ELSE (I should be doing).
Anybody got a good resource on syntax & creating if, then, else operations? I’m thinking I need one to tell grasshopper not to create any band that goes around a corner (possibly where the points are not on the same plane or where they are further apart than a set distance, because it will result in a warped loft). Any links on making a conditional function or any ideas on a better way to preclude these instances?
For the parametric seating assignment, I choose to work with Marc Newson’s wooden chair for Cappellini.
The chair is made of 3 parts: a curved, triangular base; 4 curved rectangular frames; and, 20 ribs, each a different size.
In Rhino, I drew the curved line for each piece of ribbing and swept a rectangle along it. For the frame, I used arcs and rectangles along with the sweep tool; for the base, arcs and triangles with the sweep tool. Below are 4 views of my model (clockwise from top left: front elevation, left elevation, plan view, perspective):
For the second half the assignment, I will use Grasshopper to explore the following design drivers:
1. BACK HEIGHT
2. RIB WIDTH
3. SEAT SHAPE
Possible design parameters for extension or manipulation in grasshopper.
- Input curve – The bench could be generated on any curve
- Number of ribs – or possibly density of ribs
- Number of spines – or density of spines
- Thickness of spines
- Seat back height at highest point
- Seat depth at deepest point
- Distance from end A to beginning of transition to seat
- Distance from end B to beginning of transition to seat