Project 2 – Design Development (GROUP BERNITA + MICHELLE)

 

Screenshot (1).png
Entire Code (but text is too small to view)
Screenshot (4).png
This part was shown in our earlier post. 
Screenshot (5).png
We isolated the bottom shelf so that we could create a piece that folds for a studier base.
Screenshot (8).png
The side tab now folds for a horizontal/flat piece. As seen here. 
Screenshot (6).png
The side on the very left didn’t have a structural support. This time we isolated it (like we did with the bottom piece shown above), by isolating it we were able to create a vertical support so to increase the success rate of our model actually standing. 
Screenshot (7).png
Here you can see the vertical piece we added in. The vertical piece will continue from the horizontal shelf, so it’s actually a fold on the horizontal piece that creates the folded vertical piece now.

 

 

Project 2 – Design Development (GROUP BERNITA+MICHELLE)

This shows how the vertical (legs) will be in construction. They will notch into the lower piece. The change in the vertical’s width is so that the notch can sit into another piece without an entire unit falling through too low.
Successfully created vertical that tapers with the width of the shelves. The changes of this privacy screen actually standing is now higher because there’s more of a support.
We realized there was a problem with the notching on the horizontal (shelf) part. By maintaining a rectangular shape, the shelf is wider than the vertical piece it needs to notch with. They wouldn’t be able to notch and be kept stable.
As a solution, we wanted to change the front and back of the shelf so that the shelf could be successfully notched with the vertical piece. Image shows the front of the shelf going backwards – resulting in a tapered effect for our shelving unit.
Here are sketches of our problem and some solutions we want to try along with questions we have.
This image shows how with the horizontal piece successfully notches with the vertical piece when the shelf is tapered. However, we have a problem where our privacy screen ends with horizontal flaps that aren’t supported with the vertical. We tried to fix this by ending the screen on a vertical but couldn’t figure out how.
Code for current progress.

Privacy Screen Midterm and further Development_Wanlu Liu(Lily)

Initial attempts and examples at creating a double star shape. The flat image was created but the main problem last week was that I could not get this shape to become 3D. However, the points are easily adjustable.

This week the main focus is now on creating a 3D curved screen. Instead of setting the points on a flat surface a data tree method is used. The highlighted areas are the adjustable elements allowing there to be different variations of the wall.

Screenshot (39)

Original Star Design (Changeable settings are all at 0.5 and 1)Screenshot (36).png

Variations of the DesignScreenshot (37)Screenshot (38)Screenshot (35).png

Potential Future Variations

This design probably will not be used this time but could potentially be able to make the wall more 3D in future designs. The highlighted area is the controls used to create the effect.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.