Product Family Final_Wanlu Liu

 

      This design was mainly inspired by the organic formation of bubbles as they layer on top of each other. The intention was to create a web-like light that would be able to cast interesting shadows on the surfaces of objects below, in order to add removable pattern textures to any surrounding objects. This allows non-permanent patterns to be created as well as allows for there to be changes in the space depending on ethereal qualities. The changes throughout the day will allow this light to incorporate the aspect of time as well into the design. I wanted the shape of the object to be more randomized rather than organized, just like how foam would naturally form without any particular shape and order. Therefore, there is no particular structured look to the project and the light needs to be hung because there is no set base. It really depends on which component numbers you decide to mix together in order to determine whether or not it will be able to stand.

    To achieve this effect I mainly set up a Voronoi shape within a specified cube and then created a curve within that cube set with various points. In order to have these solids adhere to the curve I then mainly used weaverbird to create thickness on the edges so that there is a frame surrounding the individual pieces. The density of these frames can be changed to encompass just outline of the shape or to generate more complex lattices within the borders of the shape. Most of the problems I experienced at this stage came from setting up thickness and from trying to create more variation in the definition to produce diversity.

    In the process of printing, I realized that because there is such a complicated lattice system incorporated it was very difficult to adhere to thickness requirements. I ended up having to add a new command to adjust and control the thickness even more for it to work. This alone took multiple tries and tests of running back and forth between the 3d printing lab and the computer labs.  Even then, in order to print it, the model had to run through magics many times in order to get all the corrections and the printed version required a lot of cleaning up and aftercare work in order to take photographs after. Therefore, I feel that 3d printing technology is still rather limited in what designs it is able to produce off the computer and unfortunately with our current technology a lot of grasshopper definitions cannot yet be realized in real life. Fortunately, with adjusting most of my family members were able to work. It just took some compromises especially in size, thickness and density in order to create a workable shape.

 

 

product Family (1).jpg3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

GIFS

 

Untitled1.gif

THREAD LINK

https://thread.thorntontomasetti.com/project/5cdc7bf14770ae0004df2793/explore?ds=5cdc7c1d4770ae0004df2796&layout=5cdc7c7e4770ae0004df2896

 

Possible Further Iterations:

In the last review, I received some critiques about having more specific commands and specific points instead of randomized so I created a variation of the Voronoi command with more movable points.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s