I chose my previous design project for this assignment. This is a reading chair, designed for prolonged, relaxed use.its asymmetrical, curving wings enclose the user in a space that feels secure: one feels embraced by the chair, or perhaps held in a large hand. One feels almost taken care of by the chair. It’s a space that helps the user achieve a special level of calmness and relaxation.
I built a new digital model based on the original hand made prototype.
The five design drivers focus on proportion, curve, multi-thickness, texture and frame, to explore more possibilities of this chair design.
For the Parametric Seating Assignment, I chose to use Konstantin Grcic’s “Chair One”.
Below are several rendered views of the model I built in Rhino.
I will use Grasshopper to alter this model according to the below design drivers:
(1) HEIGHT – I will alter the height of the chair by increasing the length of the chair legs, while maintaining the distance between each of the legs on the ground.
(2) BACK TILT ANGLE – I will alter the tilt angle of the back of the chair.
(3) CUT-OUT SIZE – I will alter the sizes of the triangular cut-outs in the surface of the chair to fill in or open up the surface of the chair.
(4) SUBDIVISION – I will create a driver to subdivide each triangular cut-out into three smaller triangular cut-outs.
(5) SEAT WIDTH – I will alter the width of the seat so the chair can be transformed into a loveseat or a longer bench. I will increase the length of certain of the triangular “legs” to make the chair wider. I will set a limit for the length of these legs. I’ll use a Boolean operation to identify when that limit is reached and trigger a subdivision of the triangles that contain that leg.
– Justin Crocker
For the Parametric Seating assignment I chose the Ruth Rocker designed by David Trubridge. I like the organic form and the beauty of the simplicity functionality of the chair. For the assignment, I chose to design four drivers that will change the original characteristic. In the images above, it shown the analysis, the designed drivers and the surface model of the chair.