This is the final iteration of the Privacy Screen project. Two hotspots were designed to manipulate the threshold of the screen according to their proximity to the surfaces. Shapediver model grants users the ability to manipulate the x, y, and z coordinates of the hotspots to control both the location and the integrity of the openings based on their intent.
The initial idea came from building a partition that is easily manipulatable, and mass-producible afterwards. Hence, the geometry has been strictly limited to rectangular shapes and some pipes to ensure the ease of production.
The final outcome has turned out the way I’ve intended, but there could’ve been more realism on rendered materials. Although the technology has developed enough that it could be activated using cellphones, the rendering seem to have a way to go.
Something that I could’ve done better on was adding details to make the practicality more fine tuning. Panels were almost being supported by nothing when they were contracted, which pulled back its believability away by a step.
Above are some recent images of the privacy screen project. I suppose that the generic flow of components has been figured out, and it would only be a matter of producing 100 different configurations from this point. However, this week I encountered an issue, in which ShapeDiver couldn’t ingest all the components in the definition. The question as to what exactly it is referring to when it says “quantity” shall be figured out in today’s desk critique.
Above are images of 2nd iteration of privacy screen project. Despite how grasshopper definition was trimmed out and simplified than how it was before, there seemed to be an issue that hindered file from syncing with Shapediver plugin.
At this point, it would be best to assume that I should avoid using M+, but utilize Kangaroo, LunchBox, and WB plugins to construct the pattern.
This is the 1st iteration of Privacy Screen Project. Apparently, it looks a little more organic than the precedents I’ve found from the previous post, therefore I should consider going back to more fundamental geometric shapes to make the output look more relevant to those studies.
The next step will also involve manipulating data to confer asymmetrical qualities to the screen.
Shapediver was not working for some reason. As much as this project relies heavily on it, it should be resolved as soon as possible.
The direction, towards which I plan to push this project, is a manipulation of fundamental geometric shapes (line, rectangles, triangles, points) to make a variance between proposals. Above are some inspirational images that best reflect my idea, which will be narrowed down and presented through a series of sketches in the next few days.
This is the 3rd pahse of 2D patterning project. I realized applying 3D voronoi within extruded 2D voronoi shapes would not be feasible, due to hardware limit, as well as arbitrariness of design. Hence, I’ve decided to scale the shape to create contour edges that has their thickness changing accordinly, with respect to distance from the control point. This version shall be discussed with the professor tomorrow, and we will decide together whether to submit this as a final version or to further develope it.
This phase was focused on defining adjacency of voronoi shapes to a point by color gradient. In general, it was successful, as the displacement of point was both reflected in voronoi shapes (i.e., sizes) and color gradient. The next phase will include some extrusion towards z-axis, in response to the displacement of the point.
Above are some images showing the current level of 2D Patterning project. The overall pattern looked better without lines, hence I decided to make extruded voronoid shapes as the only components. The next step will be focused on texturing and coloring, but I will try to see if it is possible to add sub-components within these vorovoid boundaies, as well.
Above is the most current progress of 2D Patterning Project. One of aspects pointed out by the peers and the professor is that there seems to be too much things happening in the pattern that they rather become confusing for the viewers.
The primary task is to trim out components that aren’t necessary and try to keep the project simple (i.e., decide whether I would work with lines or shapes, and pick one or two variables to change (e.g., direction, size, color, etc). Consider the topics we’ve covered on week 5.