In this privacy screen project the main goal was to create a freestanding privacy screen for children sharing a space. Using grasshopper and rhino we were able to make various different iterations of 3’ x 5’ privacy screens of which we chose 3 to build at ¼ scale. The screen is meant to be for preschoolers who are generally around 4’ tall or shorter.
This project consisted of two people and although we had different ideas for screens earlier on we did end up agreeing on one particular screen to build after discussing our ideas with each other.
For our project specifically we wanted to work with the idea of reciprocals. Although we did not build a completely reciprocal frame that supports itself with no joints, we ended up borrowing the reciprocal form and placing it into our screen. This idea was born from the previous product family project as a continuation of the gridded reciprocal design.
We wanted to work with this design not only because it was a challenge to build because all the pieces were really similar, but also because we wanted to see if we could make a very structured and solid system for the screen. This is needed because children often knock into things and we wanted to be able to ensure that this screen was able to stand well. In the case that the screen did fall, over we also wanted to make sure that the screen was not too heavy but at the same time would be able to support the child’s weight so that the screen does not break under the weight of the child.
The screen has a clear slotting system that although tedious is reproducible, so as a product this screen would function very well as long as the numbers are there. There is no additional glue required for the screen and all the slots hold themselves up. In the case of mass production as long as the numbers on the screen are followed there would be no problem for most people to build it following instructions. In addition, the density of the screen allows for a lot of privacy especially when viewed form an angle but at the same time is very porous when viewed from the front. This allows parents to be able to easily see their kids while they are behind the screen yet still allow the kids to feel that they are in a private space.
The final construction of the screen went fairly well building-wise however a problem we ended up having with the other two iterations of the screen where we changed the angle and the density of the screen, was that gravity ended up playing too big of a role on the screen and it began to squish the screen downward. This also had to do with the fact that we used Bristol to build the screen which is a fairly thin material. Although this was not what we had intended it does show that not everything that works in grasshopper will definitely work in the real-world. There still needs to be a lot of consideration that is put into material choice, size and function.